ABCWUA Position Description
Heavy Equipment Operator
|Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.|
Operate and maintain heavy, motorized equipment used in earth moving and composting operations in a safe and efficient manner.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Related education and experience may be interchangeable on a year for year basis. Related education may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
High school diploma or GED plus six (6) years of heavy equipment operation and maintenance experience.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: (Licenses, Certifications, etc.):
Possession of, or ability to obtain and maintain a valid Authority Operator Permit (AOP) within six (6) months.
Possession of a New Mexico Commercial Driver's License - Class A
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receive general supervision from higher level management or supervisory staff.
May serve as lead for lower level employees.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions may include, but are not limited to, the functions listed below)
1. Operate heavy, motorized equipment used in earth moving operations, including, but not limited to, tankers, dozers scraper, loaders, mobile compost mixers, compost turner, 18 wheel tractor-trailers, crane, excavator, etc. and other equipment to support a variety of operations at Water Authority facilities.
2. May build level and excavate land surfaces using graders and other construction equipment.
3. Gather and load dirt and waste products from job sites onto trucks. Transport to appropriate location.
4. Operate water tanker and similar equipment for dust control and dirt compaction.
5. May operate and maintain windrow aeration/composting related equipment. Maintain daily temperature of compost. Prepare soil samples to send laboratory. Change, adjust, replace and/or repair sludge spreading implements.
6. Use hand-held mobile radio units to coordinate tasks and resources.
7. Maintain accurate logs and records and enter data in computer.
8. Ensure adherence to safe work practices and procedures.
1. Perform preventive maintenance on equipment as required including fluid and filter changes and parts lubrication.
2. Assist with disassembling and reassembling screeners/conveyors.
3. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
Operational characteristics of a variety of heavy, power-driven equipment
Maintenance requirements of heavy, power-driven equipment
Methods and materials used in general construction and maintenance work
Principles and techniques of field maintenance activities
Traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved in heavy equipment operation
Occupational hazards and standard safety practices
Skill and Ability to:
Operate heavy power-driven equipment
Perform a variety of skilled construction and maintenance tasks
Read and interpret maps, sketches, drawings, specifications and technical manuals
Perform a variety of manual tasks for extended periods in unfavorable weather conditions
Work independently in the absence of supervision
Understand and follow oral and written instructions
Learn soil composting techniques
Prepare written reports and/or forms
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing or via radio
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
Work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as required
Travel from site to site; construction site environment; exposure to dust, noise, toxic materials; waste and infectious materials; work in inclement weather conditions
Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities such as: heavy lifting and climbing; operating motorized equipment and vehicles; work in confined spaces; work at heights; work around heavy construction equipment
Maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties
Copyright ©2007 Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority. All Rights Reserved.